Monday, February 8, 2010

The Duomo


This is a picture of the Duomo Santa Maria del Fiore (or as we call it "The Duomo") the biggest church in Florence. The Duomo took 170 years to build!!! The dome of the cathedral is the biggest brick dome ever built and was the largest dome in the world until modern times. The whole building is covered in marble and statues. I walk by the Duomo everyday on my way to class and sometimes I sit on the steps in front of it and eat my lunch. I wish that a picture could do this building justice, but you will all just have to come see it for yourselves someday.

3 comments:

  1. I believe Jean and I also once sat on the steps at the Duomo. J&J

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the trip ? The photos look awesome. Natalie is actually reading a book about Florence right now (Chris and Natalie Stevens)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My trip is wonderful! I learn something new everyday! I am learning Italian, history of the Renaissance and about the influential families and artisits. I love that Natalie is reading about Florence! If she has any questions or wants to see something in particular let me know! Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete